227g/8oz caster sugar
227ml/8floz vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
227g/8oz grated courgettes (unpeeled)
340g/12oz plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1tsp bicarb soda
½ tsp salt
1 level tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp grated nutmeg
85g/3oz walnuts, roughly chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to Gas 4/180C/350F
- Whisk together the sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla until thick.
- Stir in the grated courgettes
- Sift the dry ingredients into the bowl, then add the nuts (if using). Stir well.
- Spoon into a 25x18cm/10”x7” buttered tin (or, I use a 2lb loaf tin).
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes (nearer 60-75 minutes if using the loaf tin), or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 30 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to become completely cold.